Every now and then I just want a basic drop sugar cookie. This recipe is just what I wanted. This cookie is a crisp cookie and not too sweet. They are very easy to make and this recipe makes a lot of cookies! These would be good to make for a bake sale or for a potluck dinner!
Mom’s Sugar Cookies- source
Serving Size = About 30 cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), softened
- 1/2 cup of oil (canola, or vegetable, or grapeseed)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Extra sugar for smashing and decorating
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease baking sheet.
- In a bowl mix together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer, mix together the butter and sugar until creamed together then add the egg. Add the powdered sugar, oil and vanilla, mix.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until just combined.
- Pour some sugar onto a small plate and then take a large drinking glass (about a 3-inch wide bottom) and dip the bottom of the glass into the cookie dough just to moisten it. Place the glass, bottom side down, onto the sugar covered plate.
- With the dough, form 1-inch balls and place a few inches apart on the baking sheet. Take the sugar covered glass and smash each cookie until it spreads out to the size of the glass. Dip the glass in sugar again and repeat with each cookie, remembering to dip the glass into the sugar after smashing each cookie.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies just start to get a touch of light brown color on them. Remove from oven and sprinkle lightly with sugar, just for decoration. Remove immediately to a cooling rack.