Baked Sweet Chili Chicken Wings
Published July 13, 2014 by thepinkgourmet
If you like Chicken Wings then this is a must try! Even though these are baked, they are crispy without all the extra fat! The sauce is amazing on the wings. The sauce is sweet with a little heat. These would be great for an appetizer or for the main course if you added something else with them. They are very easy to make.
Baked Sweet Chili Chicken Wings- Source
1 hour 15 mins
Author: Carla Cardello (www.chocolatemoosey.com)
- 6 wing dings (drumettes and/or flats)*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line the bottom of a roasting pan or cookie sheet with foil. Place a roasting or cooling rack on top.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the wings, oil, salt and pepper. Place wings onto rack in the pan and bake 45-50 minutes until cooked through and skin is crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. In a medium saucepan, mix together the water, chili sauce, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 8 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes to thicken slightly.
- When the wings are finished, toss into the glaze and serve.
- Optional: After tossing in the glaze, bake for an additional 8-10 minutes or until the glaze is lightly caramelized.
*Wing dings are chicken wings that are cut into three sections. If you cut the wings yourself, discard the tips and keep the drumstick and flat parts.
The first thing I did was marinate the chicken wings in a mixture of soy sauce and apple cider vinegar. It did not say to do this, I just thought it would make the chicken a little more flavorful, which it did. I did not measure the soy sauce and apple cider vinegar, I just used more of the vinegar than the soy sauce. I left it in the marinade for about an hour and turned the chicken in the marinade about half way.
Pat the chicken wings with a paper towel when you take them out of the marinade. Put the chicken wings in a bowl with the salt, pepper, and oil. Toss till well coated. Place a roasting or cooling rack on top of a foil lined cookie sheet or roasting rack. Place the wings onto the rack.
Bake at 400 degrees about 45-50 until cooked through and skin is crispy. I turned my over about half way through the cooking time.
While the wings are baking start making the glaze. This is what you need to make it.
Put the water, garlic, soy sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce, and ginger in a medium-sized pot. Bring this to a boil and reduce heat to low for about 8 minutes. I made a mistake and bought the wrong Sweet Chili Sauce. This one was kind of hot so I made some adjustments to it. I added some ketchup, brown sugar and more water to get it to a taste I liked that was not too hot. When it has reduced to the way you want it, turn it off and let it sit. It will thicken as it cools.
When the wings are done toss them in the glaze. If you want put them back in the oven for about 8-10 minutes and they will start to caramelize!
Can you say yum, yum! All I can say now is just enjoy them! I bet you can’t help licking your fingers!