This is a recipe I made for breakfast for my father on his Birthday! It has a very fine texture with a big flavor! The crumb topping goes well with the muffin. It is not a hard recipe to make and can be made within a little over an hour from start to finish. I will for sure make this recipe again.
New York-Style Coffee Cake Crumb Muffins
For the crumb topping:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cups cake flour
For the muffin:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces, softened but still cool
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup buttermilk (or 1/3 cup plain yogurt)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line muffin pan with baking cups or prepare panettone baking cups by spraying them lightly with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the butter over top and using a wooden spoon, mix until incorporated. Then add the cake flour and mix until mixture resembles a thick and cohesive dough. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,�mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt on low speed to combine. With mixer at low speed, add butter one piece at a time; continue beating until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no visible butter chunks remaining, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract and buttermilk and mix until all has been incorporated and batter is light and fluffy.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, divide up batter into prepared muffin pan. Then, sprinkle a generous amount of the crumb topping on top. Do not press the crumb topping into the batter. Just let it sit on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crumbs are golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. (Note: I did stick my muffins under the broiler at about �the 15 minute baking mark so the tops would get nice and brown. If you do this, make sure to watch it carefully. You do not have to do the broiler step and can omit it completely.)
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
The first thing you need to do is make the crumb topping. Whisk the sugars, the cinnamon and salt together in a medium bowl.
Next add your melted butter to the sugar mixture. Mix until well incorporated.
Add the cake flour and mix until it becomes a thick dough.
Now it’s time to make the muffin. Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in deep bowl on low-speed. Next add butter one piece at a time and mix until it resembles moist crumbs.
Add your egg, egg yolk, buttermilk and vanilla and mix until you have a light and fluffy batter.
Put 1/4 cup of batter into each baking cup.
Sprinkle the crumb topping over the top of each muffin. Use it all.
Bake for 20 minutes in a 325 degree oven. You can turn the broiler on at the 15 minute mark and finish the muffins so they get brown on the top. Just be sure to watch them closely if you do this. (You do not have to do this, you can leave them at 325 degrees till they are done and a toothpick inserted comes out clean) Let them cool before eating them. I can promise you will be very happy with them!