These are not your everyday meatballs. These are made with ground chicken and baked, which make them healthier. I really enjoyed the taste and the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce is really an added plus for these meatball. It gives them a sweet and spicy flavor. You can make these appetizer or main course size. I think they would be great for a party! They can be served hot or cold.
- 1 cup (250 ml) bread, torn into small bits – preferably French or Italian bread
- 1/3 (80 ml) cup milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound (450 g) ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) Raspberry Chipotle Sauce (I like
- Fischer & Wieser Razzpotle Roasted Raspberry Sauce)
- Soak the bread in the milk until softened. About 4 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F with a rack in the upper third of the oven. Baking the meatballs in the top part of the oven help to create a nice brown outside.
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet. Cook onion, and garlic over medium heat until onion is softened, add the salt and pepper.
- Squeeze bread to remove excess milk, then discard milk. Lightly beat egg in a large bowl. Mix the egg, bread, ground chicken, and parsley. Divide chicken into 12 balls (24 pieces for appetizers) and form balls. Spray roasting dish with cooking-spray. Arrange meatballs in the pan.
- Brush the remaining oil over meatballs, bake in upper third of oven until meatballs are just cooked through, 15 minutes for cocktail meatballs and 20 to 25 minutes for full size meatballs.
- Pour the Raspberry Chipotle sauce over the meatballs while still hot.
- Serve hot or cold.
The first thing I did was cook the onions and garlic in half the olive oil until softened. You want to add the salt and pepper to this.
Put your ground chicken into a bowl. I know this is not the most appetizing picture but it is what it is.
Next, lightly beat your egg.
Soak your bread in the milk until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Make sure you use fresh French or Italian bread and tear it into small pieces.
Squeeze out the excess milk from the bread and add the bread to the ground chicken along with the egg and parsley.
Add your softened onions and garlic and mix until combined.
Roll into balls, place on a parchment lined roasting dish or roasting dish sprayed with cooking spray. Brush the rest of the olive oil over the meatball. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes for appetizer size or 20-25 minutes for full size meat balls.
Remove from dish and place on a serving platter and pour over the Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce. I think you will really enjoy these!!!