I have been seeing this recipe for Bang Bang Chicken on Pinterest for a while now. I thought I would try it and see what all the rage was. The buttermilk makes it very tender on the inside and the panko crumbs make it crispy on the outside. I really think the sauce is what makes the chicken so tasty!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (I used Frank’s)
- 1 tbsp Frank’s hot sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. To the bowl add the hot sauce, egg, and buttermilk and whisk until you have a smooth batter. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl, toss to make sure each piece is coated in the batter and set aside.
- In another bowl add about a cup of Panko breadcrumbs.
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce together and refrigerate until ready for serving.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Coat each piece of chicken with breadcrumbs, add more breadcrumbs as needed, and fry on both sides for 3 to 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Place on paper napkins to soak up some of the oil. Repeat with all chicken pieces. Only add a few pieces of chicken to the skillet at a time, so the chicken turns out crispy.
- Drizzle chicken with sauce and serve
The first thing I did was to make the sauce. It only uses the four ingredients you see above.
Mix all four of the ingredients together into a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve the chicken.
The next thing I did was to cut up my chicken breast.
Now for the batter. Mix your flour, cornstarch, paprika, garlic powder, salt, & pepper into a medium bowl.
Then add your buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce to your dry ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
Add your chicken to the batter.
Next coat your battered chicken in the panko crumbs.
Fry your chicken in the oil until golden and cooked through. It took mine about 3-4 minutes.
Drizzle your chicken with the sauce. The only thing I had with my chicken was a salad. It was very filling.