These are one of my favorite cookies to make for the Holiday! Ricotta cheese is a nice addition to these cookies. They are a very moist cookie. You can either frost or not frost them, they are great both ways. They are also very easy to make and make a lot of cookies, which make a good recipe to take to a Holiday Party or to a cookie exchange. I bet if you try these they will become one of your favorites.
Italian Christmas Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar® / Dixie Crystals® Granulated Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 to 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Colored sprinkles
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in ricotta and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Add enough milk until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies and immediately decorate with sprinkles. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8-1/2 dozen.
Put your softened butter and sugar into a large bowl.
Add eggs one at a time.
Beat well after each addition.
Next add your ricotta cheese and vanilla.
It should look like this after you beat it. It will be really fluffy at this time.
Slowly add in your flour, baking soda, salt, and I also add a teaspoon of baking powder.
Mix until the flour is well incorporated.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased or parchment lined baking sheets.
Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 9-11 minutes or until light brown.
While cookies are cooling make the frosting. Put all ingredients for the frosting into a bowl and mix until smooth. You may have to adjust the powdered sugar and milk to get it just right.
If you like you can add food coloring to the frosting.
I did add food coloring to my frosting. I think it makes the cookies look beautiful! I hope you will enjoy these as much as I do.