Sometimes I don’t want meat for dinner but I do want something hearty. Mushrooms are always a good choice. I decided on a Creamy Mushroom Bake. This is really a side dish but I used it as a main course. It was very good! It was rich, creamy and filling. I did not feel like I was missing out on anything. I also added a small salad with it.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 1 lb. mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/2 c. butter (I recommend Kerrygold Irish Butter for these)
- 2 Tbsp. flour 1/2 c. half and half
- 1/4 c. beef or chicken stock dash of freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 c. Panko bread crumbs (yes, you can use regular crumbs but these offer a better crunch)
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter shallow baking dish.
- Arrange mushrooms in dish stemmed side down.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in small saucepan over low heat. Increase heat to medium-high, blend in flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in half and half and bring to a boil.
- Mix in stock and pepper and return to boil. Pour sauce evenly over mushroom.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until mushrooms look tender.
- Sprinkle with bread/cheese mixture and continue baking until cheese melts, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
The first step is to butter a shallow baking dish. This is one of my favorite baking dishes…
Put your mushrooms in the buttered baking dish. I used sliced baby bella mushrooms. The recipe calls for button mushrooms. I say use your favorite. 🙂
Next I went ahead and grated my parmesan cheese and mixed it with my panko crumbs. I also recommend using panko crumbs instead of bread crumbs.
Next you want to melt your butter in a small saucepan over low heat. I just used ordinary store butter.
When the butter is melted increase the heat to medium-high and add your flour. Stir constantly for 3 minutes.
It should look like this after 3 minutes.
Add your half and half and bring to a boil.
It does not take long to come to a boil. Make sure you are stirring constantly.
Add your chicken stock and ground pepper.
You want to stir this until it comes back to a boil. It should be getting thick now.
Pour the sauce over the mushrooms. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. I cooked mine about 35 minutes. You want your mushrooms to be tender.
This is what it looked like after about 35 minutes.
Take it out of the oven and sprinkle the panko crumb/cheese mixture over the top of the mushrooms and cook about 5 more minutes till the cheese melts.
This is what it looks like when it is done. All you need to do now is plate it and enjoy!!! Mine was delicious! I will definitely be making this again……