This is a great recipe when you want comfort food for dinner. I have made sausage and onions and potatoes and onions before, but never sausage, potatoes, & onions. The combination was really good. It can be prepared in about a hour.
- 14 oz. smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 lb. russet potatoes, cleaned & sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced or diced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or bacon fat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sage
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- dash cayenne or hot sauce (opt)
- *In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat , add in sliced potatoes. (You can lay them out flat to get more crispy on each side, If you do this it will take about 10 mins to cook on each side. And I usually use 2 large skillets for this to make it go faster. Or you can just throw them in the pan stir them around it will give you more of a softer potato.) Brown potatoes, stirring occasionally.
- When potatoes are about 85% done or your last 5 minutes of cooking add sausage, onion, garlic, sage, and hot sauce.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook until sausage is heated and the onions are soft. You want about a 60/40 ratio with potatoes and sausage
This is all the ingredients you need to make this: Smoked sausage, potatoes, onion, olive oil, garlic and sage.
The first thing you want to do is slice your potatoes.
Add the potatoes to a skillet with the olive oil. Brown over medium high heat until crispy on each side.
Next add your onions to the skillet with the potatoes. I did not follow the recipe at this point. I cooked the onions with the potatoes for only a short amount of time.
I then took out my potatoes and cooked my onions till soft.
Cut up your sausage, onion and sage.
Add your sausage, garlic and sage to the skillet with the onions.
This is where I added the hot sauce. You do not have to add any, but it did give this dish a nice kick. Cook till your sausage is cooked to your liking.
I then added the potatoes back into the skillet until they were heated through. Doesn’t this look yummy?
It should look something like this when it is done. I don’t think you will be disappointed. I did not serve it with anything else, it was filling enough alone. This would be great on a cold day!!